July 12, 2008

Very Stormy

Yesterday lightening hit 20 feet from my husband. YIKES! Scary. I just realized (trying not to think of what could happen?) The tree I was standing by is the one that got hit 10 minutes later! I was 2 feet from the tree. scary...and so happy it waited!

I got Boss out of the pen, lead him at first then drove him to different things, put your nose here, put your nose there. No thresholds noted even when we went far away from the herd.
- We'd done some squeeze in between two trees, with carrot treat after. Success!
-Circle around the tree--oops you're wrapped around it...what to do? Lots of licking, and calmly walked out from behind the tree. got photos of this, need to download.
-put bareback pad on savvy way, No big deal with lead line on ground, Boss stood like a champ. I did put it on his neck at first and just looked at him. Funny expression 'cause he thought he knew what was coming. I'm trying to mix it up a little...so he won't anticipate my moves. Worked.
-porcupine is phase 1 hindquarters, phase 2-3 front (LBI--hard to move front end. hmmm).
-no biting, no kicking, no attacking, which is an improvement over the VERY FIRST time I tried 7 Games with Boss. He about pulled me off my feet first day. Now pretty smooth and easy. Success is in the small steps!
-Lots of pausing, backed to a really green spot with lush grass. WHAT? You mean you don't want me to do anything else? he seemed to say. Grazing is good. Funny looks, but he dove right in. Fiona wants to stand at attention and I have to practically force her to graze. Boss is right on it..."yes, Ma'am, I'm grazing now." He's a piggie really. Hogging up the grass. Funny really.
-sideways to the trailer with "put your side on tire". He was uncertain of what I wanted, but I stayed persistent and he got it. I relaxed, put my head down and went motionless when he got it. Lick, lick. Head down. nice!

I got up on a brick ring around a tree to try to get on the bareback pad. Well, this area needs some more friendly/work/not sure what. He was putting himself at right angles to me...no way did his back get near me so I could get on. I did circle sideways all around the tree. Moved away from trying to get on as that was a no go. Thought I'd change the focus. Tried again later but no go. More friendly needed, I guess, and more undemanding? We'll see how it goes. No hurry as I want this for the long haul, not just for today.

Lightening stopped my session when I had just gotten him all into it. disappointing but we'll live to play another day. I mentioned it hit right near hubby, it was about 20 or 30 feet from me but I was under the barn. Scared the poo right out of me! Thank goodness we're all ok. Put Boss right up and came into house, no more play today!

Savvy on and I'd love to hear from you!
Shelly :)

-

No comments: