August 1, 2010

Fiona Emergeny Trip to UGA (warning ugly picture)

my pirate girl. 

arriving at UGA
On Saturday I noticed that Fiona had a horrible looking eye, called the vet.  No one called me back.  I was freaking, gave her some antibiotic ointment.  FINALLY got someone on the phone on Sunday, he says he is out of town, and a vet is coming on Monday to see patients.  Sheesh!  I'm ticked.

OK so I work all night, get the vet there first thing, and she says ya gotta go to Univ. of GA vet school. 
I'm still mad cause someone should have looked at her eye on SATURDAY.  Not her fault, so I don't take it out on her.

Got Fiona loaded in about 15-20 mins.  This is a record.  She is TERRIFIED of the trailer and I just kept saying to myself, "this is not about the trailer, this is about me as the trusted leader."  She snorted a few times, I let her go on and off a few times, and then we closed the doors in stages, open closed, open closed, repeat a few more times, I closed them and took off.  Stopped at McDonald's to get a bite and checked on her--she was sweat soaked-- offered her water (she would not take any) and then we were off for good.  I threw a little water on her to cool her at least.  Drove a little more than 1.5 hours to UGA (I'm lucky I'm that close) and they admitted us.

I asked for a few moments to "settle her."  I had her walk sideways and backwards, and then we went to the barn. 

First time in the barn she was a little RB calling and head was up but not on the ceiling, I was happy with her.  She immediately began calming. 

Hopped right up on the obstacle (I mean scale).  They were impressed. 

Took her right away to an exam room and they poked and prodded her, she behaved gloriously taking it all in stride.  I was about to burst with pride.  I told everyone who would listen "this is a Parelli horse.  check it out!  Parelli.com."  yes, I'm a nerd.

Head was occasionally up, but I asked her to put it down and she calmed.  Re-read the blog title...she was a STAR! 

They sedated her (she did VERY well with the needle--one guy, no histronics) twice--did well both times.  Again, about to pop with pride.  She was SO BRAVE.  And SO Well behaved!  Yes! 

They put a catheter in her eye under her eyelid and that was a tiny bit hard to watch cause a student did it (Main Doc supervised very well).   Fiona tolerated it very well (drunk) and when she was coming around they were still sutering but she took it amazingly well. 

I brought treats and when she could have them she got some!  Also used Lavendar aromatherapy during the procedure and she eagerly sniffed it.  I left it with them for her.

coming home without her was HARD.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Shelly,
It sounds like your mare did great, and it's all down to prior preparation! Well done, lots to be proud of.

You never did say what was actually wrong with her eye, but it looks like she's going to be fine.

Sharon
Parelli Central