April 23, 2010

Bareback riding with Boss

Dancer's Boss, my 26 year old QH is a solid LBI.  He has to see the cookies to be motivated.  So combining his love of food, and my fear of riding, I got him tacked up with halter and snap reins and had my husband Albie boost me up bareback.  We were in a small paddock and I checked flexion.  very stiff.  Two or thee times and he softened right up. 

We were off!  On horseback I sidled up (a few false starts but finally he got what I was asking) and we opened the gate sidepassing towards it.  (my cues were sloppy as I was sort of freaking out at being on horseback bareback). 

The game today:  the ONLY game today besides friendly:  Let me direct you to a pile of hay.....you eat and be calm.  Then follow my focus using the least cues possible to another pile of hay.  rinse and repeat. 

It took him about 10 mins of being introverted (I sat quietly and took deep breaths saying to mysef "I'm ok, you're ok,") before he really started to breathe and then figured I was not asking that much, and when he figured it out the game was on.  First time I picked up the reins very softly...he tensed.  Boss had been in his previous life kicked to go and pulled to stop....ect, you get it.  So he's never liked riding or saddling or anything that didnt' have to do with eating.

So we went to the first pile and stood there for 10 mins....I could actually feel his skin slide into relaxation and he started breathing.  It was really nice.  I was tense, too, and really tried hard to stretch and relax...

We rode that way around the field for about 30 mins.  He was soft and relaxed at the end...I put belly down and feet up on his hips trying to get him ok with me lying accross him.  

Nice session and he was licking and chewing a lot. 

I at one point burst out crying I was so happy or could it be shedding some old emotional baggage? 
Very successful time with Boss....I'm happy!

1 comment:

mareshavefun said...

What you shared about your day, truly blessed me to read about... way to go Shelly :-D

Love, Mary