August 19, 2008

Fiona changing even more

Nowadays I have noted that Fiona is becoming more and more LBI so I'm hanging out and offering comfort. But she can sometimes be dominant and try to bamboozle me into thinking she can't do anything so I have to watch that fine line between leadership and overdoing.

Yesterday we did all games with obstacles and she is STILL afraid of squeeze over anything more than tiny. So I just lead her to a log and let her look at it, did not force. Then backed over. (no problem backwards). Interesting.

Backing into a doorway, no biggie. coming out? scary. So I never asked her to come out. just let her come whenever she wanted to and that worked.

played games on the trailer (float) ramp and backed her on and off the trailer. No biggie. She grabbed some hay for good measure on the way out as I had left some in there for her.

Went very sleepy, not quite catatonic when I asked her to walk over a 3" log. So I just stood with her and didnt' ask anything at all. Let her come out of it, and backed up. Then advance and retreat. And slow. She offered to put her foot on, we called it a day.

Nice session but there are a LOT of thresholds and I'm not sure we'll ever get to a trail ride! Just going around the property is getting to take forever! I know eventually she'll trust me more but it's just that I used to Hunt and go all over, so this is a little boring at times not going anywhere, but the relationship part is fun, so I enjoy that. I'm very happy with what we've accomplished, just want it all (we've worked on this relationship for three years. One of them PNH and the other two I was not asking that much.). Sometimes I just feel I should be much farther along.

all for today. I'm off to do chores.

No comments: