August 22, 2008

Rain, Rain, don't go away! Brolly Training.

Today raining like crazy thanks to the storm in the Gulf of Mexico...so I got my handy umbrella and went for some UMBRELLA DE-SPOOKING! Of course! What a blast!

Started out walking into the field with all 4 heads high, staring. Very still. I walked away gently flapping the umbrella. Stopped, waited. Three heads came down so I continued walking away. Had to go to the far side of the 10 acre field before Boss could lick. Walked back to them, gently flapping. Away flapping more vigorously. Rinse and repeat about 8 times.

Three horses came forward and two came TO ME to check out the umbrella. Exy, (LBI) the youngest (2)followed me closely as I walked away and I had to actually ask her to get out of my and the umbrella's space! Thrilling that she was totally unafraid after 5 minutes. O'Rion (3)and another LBI with some RBE tendencies was a tad more sceptical but he came all the way to the fence when I went out. Started to get worried, I walked away. Head back up. Waited, head came down, I was able to gently walk to him and rub him with closed umbrella.

Exy wanted to bite it (I let her) and actually it crossed my mind "she's going to jump on you" so I let myself out of the fence and conducted the rest of the session through the fence. BIG SUCCESS.

Boss never came to investigate per se, but he did join the herd in the middle of the field calmly grazing while I flapped the big scary umbrella before the two youngest checked me out, and this was really big for him. He's ALWAYS (20 yrs) been afraid of an umbrella no matter how I've presented it (must have pushed too much before although I THOUGHT I was being gentle). I was able to approach somewhat and he didn't freak as he has in the past. I'll get farther next time.

I had to stop myself from doing it again! We're tapping it in to them gently not hammering it, I told myself, echoing Pat Parelli at a Tour Stop. So I got myself to stop and flap all the way to the house as I retreated, and they ended the session calmly grazing.

MAJOR SUCCESS! YAY! And she jumps in a puddle in victory!

No comments: