June 13, 2010

Can't get Permission

Today I'm afraid I'm a little bit heart broken.  After 5 years I STILL cannot get permission to get on to O'Rion.  Oh my Gosh, WHAT THE HELL DO I HAVE TO DO? 

I have studied Horsenality.  To that end I have determined that he is RBI/LBI.  With the occasional LBE thrown in. 

O'Rion caught me right away. Played all games, and he offered to back up (nice).   I started out today with lots of friendly.  Retreat, mirroring.  He finally licked and chewed.  Took a long time. 
Took him to water three times and he would not drink. 

Got on the bareback pad with savvy, tightened in four steps and did lots of friendly in between. 

Got him to go over a log.  (tiny one.)  Asked for a trot over it, he was worried to the left, but then played with the log.  Bent him both ways (stiff to right although he got it quickly).  Would easily disengage hind on both sides. 

Played Mirror Me all along the fence, and he was brilliant!

Took him to the fence, climbed on it and gave him a treat, and then scratched him all over.  Then asked him to come get me.  I was there thirty minutes.  Three times I tried to do the savvy mounting--got him in position, gave scratches.  Waited.  Big sigh, so I tried to rock him, and then grabbed mane and rein softly and put my leg on his side, he walked away.  Repeated this multiple times, once tried to put my belly over his back and do friendly.  He walked away again and never would get by me again.   Pawed fence and ground.  (I took this as a sign tension was building so I quit asking anything and just petted/scratched his mane and when he gave me his hind I scratched that).  He did use his head to wipe me out once, or tried to.  I did body blocks. 

Seemed worried although I didn't ask anything except to have him stand by me and receive friendly scratches. 

Finally I took off the bareback pad and halter/reins, put it on the fence and let him sniff/bite it.  He seemed very interested to do so. 

I am very disheartened.  This horse was raised DAY 1 with Parelli and STILL I can't get on him with his giving permission.  I"m sad today.  Did think "this is for tomorrow" but DAMN, how many tomorrows does this take?  I"m ready to ride and planned just to go passenger and bending, but if I can't even get on then why do I have these horses?

Had camera to take pics but never even thought of it once I got outside.

I AM very pleased that I know to ask permission, but would be pleased to advance some.  Trying to rein in my emotional fitness, but just reporting how I feel. 

3 comments:

mareshavefun said...

Shelly, you know that I went thru a very similar situation with Bree. So I feel for you. We had this great relationship on the ground and yet when it came to me being on her... she just wasn't feeling confident enough about it. Waiting for permission is a good idea... but just a thought... sometimes you're just not going to get that permission, so then what will you do?

Parelli Central said...

Hi Shelly, Thank you for sharing your journey with us. I am sorry to hear that you are a little heartbroken! As I am reading your blog I feel a lot of savvy. It sounds like you know how to do things right. Not being able to see what is happening, it's a little hard to give advice. My question at this point would be: what causes you to think that O'Rion is worried?


Petra Christensen
Parelli 1Star Junior Instructor

Kathy said...

Shelly: Sounds like you have the patience of a saint! I love reading about your sessions with your herd. You really inspire me to relax and just take the time it takes. And to hear that you're a little heart broken tells me that you love O'Rion and just want to further your relationship!
I'm in the very beginning stages of my journey and find myself disappointed all the time! But it's students like you that keep reminding me to be patient, and it's not about the trailer, or about the ride, it's about the relationship. =) I look forward to reading more about you and O'Rion!
-Kathy