June 30, 2010

Fiona and the Squeeze

Knee probs have kept me from playing much lately, but I wanted to be with the herd so I took my girl grazing and wanted to do something benign that wouldn't have me running or having an RBE moment with her (knee can't take it) so I did some sqeeze through a circle of PVC that was around 7 feet tall.  Sort of flimsy so I had trouble holding it up and getting her to go through...enlisted hubby and she did it brilliantly.  I was proud....however when she went through from right to left he put it down before she'd gotten more than three feet from it and she spooked slightly.  zone 5 was not ok so must pay attention to do more there.  However, I backed her under hanging strings (from a tree branch, looks tacky but it works) and INTO a wind chime with zone 5.  I've used that wind chime a lot for all zones backing into and sidling up to.  Nothing, she was ok with it.  Funny.

Then the trailer.  I had hay in the right stall so there was lots of hay grabbing, but we did circle on the ramp, back on and off ramp, circle around trailer.  then yo yo onto and off of trailer.   When she got all the way in she discovered there was nice hay in the manger.  And I gave her a treat, too, scratched her back and did friendly when she was on the trailer rubbing her back and scratching her.  She maintained a nice expression and no more freakouts so I called it quits.  All in all a successful trailering/squeeze session.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Sounds like you did a lot of preparation before actually asking her to load, and you knew when to quit. Excellent!

Sharon
Parelli Central