September 14, 2008

Spanish Walk

Two times now after playing with Fiona I've wondered what I can do on the ground to challenge myself. Up is a direction I usually Do NOT want to go while on horseback (chuckling) but on the ground I asked Fiona to go UP. She got worried, but when i put the rope up, pointed UP, tapped her foreleg lightly she put her leg UP in the most lovely Spanish type walk. Both legs. Two play sessions. She really is getting this pressure concept!

I love Fiona. Can't wait to see what is next !

Last night she ran from me, so I played with Boss (I was too direct line thinking LOUDLY evidently). When we were nearly finished he offered the most lovely side passing for about 30 feet, so I called it quits, let him graze, gave him scratches, then let him go (the whole time we played I paused quite a lot and lovingly with a soft look stroked his face). Due to his fear in the past, I did LOTS of friendly and retreat. Only one little head up incident. But turning my back took care of that.

We stood for a long time and this play session had him licking and chewing and a little yawning at first. I just waited. He was amazed and engaged. Nice bright face and eyes, trying to figure out what I was asking (mostly get on the pedestal or put a foot or look at the pedestal, SOMETHING, ANYTHING and I'd turn my back. He stumbled at first, thinking how to get up there. Then one foot, then both. Didn't stay but that was enough. In between these sessions we jumped a log then went back to pedestal. I broke it up into sections. Log. Pedestal, circle with fence or obstacle, friendly,pedestal and repeat. We did about three turns of each and then we quit.

Nice day.

Then Fiona and I played as previously stated, when some one across the road began shooting a shotgun (dove season, sigh). She was still as stone with ears at half mast, still doing what I'd asked. Relaxed and let me throw ropes all over.

I did hindquarter disengage, pick up rope and step back as I leaned back. She did well. Lots of scratches and friendly for her, and stroking with love in hand. Head down, relaxed, I leaned against her and watched the sunset.

BIG SMILES.

No comments: