September 30, 2010

Fun with Tarp

Moderate breeze today so of course it was great weather to play with a tarp.  Really wanted to give O'Rion confidence so flapped it while walking backwards from him.  He finally got curious, so I let the wind take it a little more, then placed it on the ground and motioned him towards it. 

Usually I put pressure outside zone 1 he pushes against it and goes toward pressure, then runs off.  So I'm really trying to do LOTS of friendly but supporting my notion of pressure when he's not afraid.  I want him not afraid of the CS or me.  But I need him to do what I ask (he's huge and could hurt me).  First time he was asked to go to my left with pressure outside his left zone 1 he immediately went forward (success) so I quit in mid ask. 

He lipped and bit at the tarp for quite a while while Exy grazed with one foot on it.  Cute pics but I can't get them on the computer.  Pity.  I need to take my camera more often. 

Exy allowed the folded tarp to be placed all over her and then I left it briefly on her back while I got the pic.  Exy did really well. 

After that O'Rion kept biting and pawing it.  This went on around 10 mins or so.  I put the folded tarp in his zone 1 and did friendly with it.  Called it good. 

Really nice session tonight.  I'm pretty happy. 

When I slapped the ground Exy ran to me so that was amazing.  :)  She's coming along just fine.  I am trying to get him and her both to load comfortably so that perhaps one of these days we can go somewhere easily.  Tried the other day but thresholds kept us from getting there.  No worries, we'll keep working on it. 

That will give me something to have a program with.  7 day loading program for Exy and O'Rion both. 

Meanwhile Fiona's ear is still scary looking but it's healing.  Will not be asking her to do anything til that ear heals.  The halter would possibly hurt her ear so that's out taking her anywhere. 

Nice healing session with Fiona tonight.  I did Healing for Horses (basically healing touch) on her and she blew and put her head down, very relaxed.  I thought to myself
that I just wanted to offer her this with no expectations for a return.  Just then I had the urge to cry....I went with it and then she began lipping and grooming my shoulder.  She tucked her head into my chest and we stood like that for a while.  Sweet moment.

No comments: