September 20, 2010

Making the best of Confinement

Fiona is still alone in a smallish paddock behind the barn and posing as a pirate with her one eyed mask on (small holes to peek out of the other eye)--autoimmune problem with blisters that almost ruptured the eye.  It's now stable but we have at least three more weeks of treatment.   Yikes.   We BOTH are about over it...I'm doing lots of friendly on the eye before and after treatments and tonight she put her head on my chest and sort of snuggled, and I must say she didn't give me too much trouble today.  She was very sweet.  Yesterday a different story.  Think bobbing for apples...that's her head.  Down up down up down up...get away from my eye! 

Today I did some back by the tail.  went Very well...two tries and she shifted her weight back first time, then almost took a step back second time...I quit. Trying to tap it in...not hammer it (I have to REALLY work on that cause I get excited and want to do it again and again and again!  yay! )  Horse is looking at me  like what's your prob?  I'm bored. 

Then stick to me.  Not very good.  She kept thinking I wanted her to back when I wanted her to go forward.  She was afraid so I laid the halter over her shoulder and then she got it with the connection and we  walked all over the field...over a log...and then back to the water trough.  Hate to just have her standing around in the field with her mask on and all these months going by...really working on the relationship and trying to make sure she's ok with trailering and all the stuff we have to go through to treat the eye. 

friendly and slap the ground, treat.  Rinse, repeat...I want her to come to me when I slap the ground.  We did that about 4 times and then she started getting it so I quit.  (trying hard not to torture her).

At this point I noticed Exy standing in an empty water tub (it's knee high to her).  So I zoomed over there and asked her to keep front feet in the tub and move hind end around in a half circle both ways.  Funny expressions.  When we finished she seemed stuck in the bucket so I asked her out.  She got out and then put herself right back in.  I walked away figuring she'd figure it out.  When she did make it out of there, I dragged the tub with her chasing me.  watch those toes!

O'Rion came to investigate so he got lots of scratches.  We played about three turns of "shoulders" and he's not getting it.  Feels too much pressure and runs off.   Gotta do that on line.

Having trouble with him flipping from RBI to LBE.  He can be a pill--very naughty and loves to play--as well as be Mr. Fraidy cat. 

Really really want to ride him.  He's been played with in the games since he was born and now he's 5.  but he's SO BIG that I'm afaid really to be the first one to put lots of miles on him.  I need a western saddle so I'll feel a little more secure.  Still dealing with pesky fear issues.  Same for Exy...I need to get to riding her but am afraid to really do it....but I"m convinced it'll be a non-issue...but still have trouble going forward. 

gotta get to riding...I WANT to ride....just want a little less grass green horse.  And Fiona is half blind these days with the pirate mask. 

I'll work it out....one of these days.

No comments: